We are committed to helping the media shed light on the needs of children in foster care.
Media Fact Sheet
- The mission of the Crossnore School & Children’s Home is to grow healthy futures for children and adults by providing a Christian sanctuary of hope and healing.
- We are located on two campuses: 212 rolling acres on the edge of downtown Winston-Salem, NC founded in 1909 by the Western Conference, United Methodist Church and 85 acres in the quaint Blue Ridge Mountain town of Crossnore, NC founded in 1913 by Drs. Eustace and Mary Martin Sloop.
- Our services include residential group foster care with 19 cottages open serving 200+ children annually across both campuses. More than 80 cottage parents live in the cottages creating a home for our children. Cottage parents serve in a 7 days on/7 days off rotation.
- Educational services are met through the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County schools, and the Marjorie Williams Academy, a public K-12 charter school on the Crossnore campus.
- Community-based services include foster care and adoption services and outpatient therapies.
- Life skills and transitional living skills are important for our older children. The Stepping Stones program provides real life work, finance, and transportation experiences for older high school students.
- Follow-up after care through an After Care Specialist and our Miracle Scholars program helps ensure that students can meet their education, work, transportation, and housing goals as they transition to adulthood.
Director of Communications
Crossnore School & Children’s Home In the News
November 2017 – Winston-Salem Journal – Claudette Weston: Giving Foster Children a Good Shot
November 2017 – Forsyth Family – Crossnore School & Youth in Transition
November 2017 – Winston-Salem Monthly – Healing Grounds
October 2017 – Our State – Meeting the Weaving Women of Crossnore School & Children’s Home
March 2017 – Forsyth Woman – Giving to Crossnore School & Children’s Home
March 2017 – Business North Carolina – Grateful giving: Joining forces
January 2017 – Watauga Democrat – Crossnore School, Children’s Home Complete Merger
October 2016 – Winston-Salem Monthly – Fall at the Farmery
September 2016 – Peachy: The Magazine – A Home for Healing: The Crossnore School
August 2016 – High Country Press – The Crossnore School Opens Three New Cottages, Dedicates Young Children’s Village
July 2016 – Winston-Salem Journal – Katheryn Northington: Children’s Home renews commitment to vulnerable youngsters (Op/Ed)
July 2016 – Winston-Salem Journal – Our View: A Friendly Move at The Children’s Home
July 2016 – Winston-Salem Journal – The Children’s Home is removing its fence on Reynolda Road
July 2016 – Winston-Salem Journal – Scene and Heard: Elks Lodge 449, June Rise Sing Praises of The Children’s Home
July 2016 – WXII-12 News – Enrichment program posts flags at The Children’s Home
June 2016 – Avery Journal – Second Acts highlights local artists
June 2016 – Avery Journal – Marjorie Williams Academy Graduates 11
May 2016 – Avery Journal – Avery Co. DSS hosts Jimmy Wayne at Crossnore School
May 2016 – The Chronicle of Social Change – Residential Schools: A Promising Alternative to Foster and Group Homes