Timeline – Our History
The Children’s Home
The Crossnore School
1909 – The Children’s Home opened its doors in September.
1913 – New to the community, Drs. Eustace and Mary Martin Sloop founded The Crossnore School.
1923 – The new school building was completed.
1924 – Dr. Mary Martin Sloop was introduced to the Daughters of the American Revolution.
1925 – Health Memorial Hospital was erected.
1928 – Garrett Memorial Hospital was erected.
1955 – The Children’s Home United Methodist Church was formed.
1956 – Sloop Chapel was dedicated.
1957 – Woosley Chapel was dedicated.
1958 – The School’s DAR Chapter House was erected.
1959 – Football team won North Piedmont Conference Championship.
1998 – The Blair Fraley Sales Store building was opened.
1973 – Children began attending public school.
1999 – Crossnore Academy, a public K-12 charter school opened its doors on campus.
2009 – Centennial was celebrated.
2013 – Centennial was celebrated.
2016 – Affiliation with The Crossnore School was announced.
2016 – Affiliation with The Children’s Home was announced.
The Future is BRIGHT
2017 – On January 1, 2-17, The Crossnore School and The Children’s Home officially merged into one organization. Our two historic organizations have come together to form Crossnore School & Children’s Home. Plans for 2017 include:
- Renovation of Hanes, Oxford, Epworth, Aldersgate, and Bristol cottages on the Winston-Salem campus.
- Residential services on both campuses will care for a combined 150 children by the summer of 2017.
- Foster care and adoption services will expand on the Crossnore campus.
- Winston-Salem staff will complete Sanctuary training and all staff on both campuses will continue quarterly Sanctuary training.
- Sanctuary re-certification for the new organization will be completed.
- Additional infrastructure updates and renovations on the Winston-Salem campus will begin, including administration buildings, chapel, staff housing, gymnasium, and the Farm.